Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Vermecelli Kheer / Payasam



Happy Hariyali Teej to all my friends. Semiya/Vermicelli Payasam is the simplest of all the payasams and is the most popular one. It is a very quick kheer/ payasam. We enjoy it often but two days in a year it is manadatory to make and the days are - Harayali Teej and Rakshabandhan. Today's post is for Haryali Teej and for Blog Hop. This is my first posting for Blog Hop Wednesdays. I was very excited when I read about Radhika's announcement about BlogHop Wednesday. Today I'm paired with Divya and I'm supposed to make something from her recipes. When I saw this recipe there I thought to give it a try. This is a perfect recipe for this day. I made it in half quantity.





Ingredients

Vermecelli - 3/4 cup
Sugar -1/4 cup(she asks for 1/2 cup but I would be too sweet for me)
Ghee for frying
Raisins - 10
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Thick Milk - 1 1/2 +1 cup
Milk maid - 1tbsp
Cinnamon (small piece)
 Cardamom - 2
Oil - 2 tsp
a pinch saffron (dip it in 1 tbsp warm milk)

Method
Divya asks for roasting the vermicelli but I skip this part as I use roasted vermicelli.  Fry raisins in little ghee. Heat oil in a pan and add Cinnamon and cardamom, when they are done add little water, let it boil. Add vermicelli and milk. Add saffron. Cook vermicelli till soft. Switch off the flame and add sugar and stir till completely dissolved. Now add condensed milk which gives a rich flavor to the kheer. Add cardamom powder . Pour in a serving dish and garnish with fried raisins. Serve hot or cold as you wish. If you are serving cold you may feel to add some more milk to make it right consistency. 


Verdict - I found that the kheer was too thick. I ended up mixing 1 more cup of milk to bring it to kheer consistency. 
Lets visit my co-bloghoppers kitchen.




Decorated hands on Teej.




29 comments:

  1. i love this so much, my fav...n the mehendi looks awesome in those cute hands

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!!loved the kheer and the Mehendi too......Kheer looks very good!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouthwatering kheer!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love this payasam...yummyyy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks fabulous designs, yummy and tempting kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kheer is so yummy Vatsala. The henna design is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely.. Looks so creamy.. My all time fav..

    ReplyDelete
  8. vermicelli payasam my fav..looks so delicious...awesome henna design..loved it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious dish and the mehendi looks simply fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice that u liked the recipe and wishes for Hariyali Teej......and mehendi is wonderful and looks very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this kheer a lot....my fav...the mehendi looks awesome in those cute hands...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Teej to you too dear. Even I made the same kheer for teej :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my daughter loves this payasam...

    ramya
    Ongoing event: Fusion Food: Pasta

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vatsala, lovely kheer!! Wishes for the festival too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kheer is an all time classic dessert. Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my all time favorite dessert...looks yummy.
    Mehndi looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely kheer and mehandi, what is this festival, never heard of it!, wishes for the festival
    on going event
    only-pasta-pizza-and-noodles-event
    bloggers-marathon-3-paritas-world

    ReplyDelete
  18. mouthwatering
    thank you for commenting on my blog.following you
    http://cheriesstolenrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love vermicelli kheer... its made on rakhi day especially... coming rakhi will make urs :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. One sweet that I always love ...easy to make and delicious ...those mehandi looks fab ..hope you had great day

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice kheer - kids have lovely mehendi designs

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love kheer! And that mehendi design looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Hariyali Teej to you too dear.. Love the mehendi designs :D Woww..

    And I love semiya kheer :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious kheer & lovely mehendi!!..Happy haryali teej !!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...